Interesting Lily Facts

Lilies are not poisonous to humans, they are actually widely used in traditional Asian medicine for the treatment of depression and certain types of toxicities; however Lilies contain compounds that induce renal failure in cats and even  the smallest amount of pollen can induce poisoning.

Lilies can survive a couple of days in a home-environment if placed in a suitable vase. The removal of the pollen from the flower will prolong its lifespan in a vase and prevent development of stains on the petals. Lilies are perennial plants which means that they can survive more than two years in the wild.

Lilies attract insects with their large and colourful flowers as well as their tasteful nectar while certain species of lily are pollinated by wind.

Some species of lilies can be used as food. Bulbs of  the lily plant contain a lot of starch and are used as root vegetables. Besides humans – insects, mice, squirrels and deer often eat wild lilies.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: